Pastel de choclo is a typical rural Chilean dish that dates back more than 200 years. The fundamental thing is to prepare it with the first sweetcorn of the summer season, although it is possible to make it any time of the year using frozen using frozen sweetcorn paste.
- 1 kg (2.2lb) minced beef
- 200ml (6.7fl. oz.) water or beef broth
- 40g (1.4oz.) cornflour (2 tablespoons)
- 3 onions, cubed
- 1/2 kg (1.1lb) frozen corn
- 100ml (3.4 fl.oz.) whole milk
- 30g (1 oz.) butter (2 tablespoons)
- 5 basil leaves
- Merkén (Chilean ground smoked chilli pepper)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- pepper to taste
- Chili pepper
The preparation is divided into three parts: the meat; the sweetcorn paste and then the assembly.
- Meat: Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the meat for around 8 minutes until it has browned a little. Add chilli pepper, salt, pepper and cumin to taste and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Add the water/broth and cook for 30 minutes over a low heat.
Add the onions and cook for another 30 minutes until soft, stirring frequently. Turn off the heat and add the flour. Reduce to room temperature and then put the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- Sweetcorn paste: Melt the butter in a pot, add the sweetcorn and stir over a low heat for 8 minutes. Add the milk, basil and salt, pepper and merkén to taste and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
Blend the corn, add the pepper and cornflour and continue cooking over a medium heat for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Assembly: Put the meat mixture into an ovenproof dish and then top it with the sweetcorn paste. Sprinkle it with granulated sugar. Bake at 200ºC (392°F) for 45-60 minutes, until it is bubbling and golden on top. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. Best served hot.
We have great friends who can provide the finest quality vegetables and other ingredients for preparing this recipe. Check them out on our app - don't say we didn't tell you.